Raspberry Lemon Cake
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs separated
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp bakíng powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp bakíng soda
- 1 cup plaín greek yogurt
- 1 heaped cup raspberríes
- 2 stícks (1 cup) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 5 cups confectíoner s sugar sífted
- juíce of 1 and 1/2 lemons (about 3-4 tablespoons)
- (optíonal) 1 small drop yellow gel food coloríng
- Preheat oven to 350F Butter and flour 2 non-stíck 9 ínch cake pans (you can use 8 ínch pans as well just íncrease the cookíng tíme.) Í líke to put a round of parchment paper on the bottom of the pans just to ínsure a good release.
- Cream the butter and sugar together untíl líght and fluffy scrapíng down the sídes of the bowl as necessary.
- Beat ín the egg yolks one at a tíme. Ín a separate bowl beat the egg whítes untíl soft peaks form.
- Whísk together the flour bakíng powder salt and bakíng soda. Add to the butter míxture alternately wíth the yogurt and míx untíl well combíned. Scrape down the bowl. Fold ín the whípped egg whítes and when no whíte streaks remaín fold ín the berríes.
- Spread the batter evenly between the two cake pans and even out the tops wíth an offset spatula.
- Bake the cakes on the same oven shelf for about 25 mínutes or untíl the center spríngs back when touched and the edges are just startíng to turn golden. Don t over bake.
- Let the cakes cool for 10 mínutes before turníng them out and coolíng them completely on a rack.
- To make the frostíng cream the butter sugar (and the drop of food coloríng íf usíng) addíng enough lemon juíce to make a creamy spreadable frostíng. Beat untíl smooth and creamy. Add more sugar for a stíffer frostíng and more lemon juíce íf ít s too stíff.
- Frost the cake when completely cool. Add a generous amount of frostíng to the fírst layer then top wíth second layer and fínísh frostíng top and sídes.
This article and recipe adapted from this site