Creamy Parmesan Orzo With Chicken And Asparagus
- 1 lb chicken breast boneless and skinless (about 3)
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup asparagus chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups orzo uncooked
- 2 cups half and half
- 3 cups chicken broth low sodium or water
- 1 1/2 cups Parmesan cheese grated
- 2 tbsp parsley chopped for garnish
- Season the chicken breasts with salt pepper and paprika on both sides.
- In a large skillet heat the 2 tbsp of olive oil over medium-high heat. Sear the chicken for about 5 minutes per side or until golden brown and cooked through. Depending on the thickness of your chicken you might need longer time. Transfer the chicken to a warm plate; set aside.
- In the same skillet add the asparagus and saute for about 3 minutes just until it starts to soften and starts to brown a bit. Transfer to a plate; set aside.
- In the same skillet add the onion and garlic and saute for about 3 minutes until the onion is translucent and the garlic becomes aromatic. Add more olive oil if needed.
- Add the orzo to the skillet and saute for just one minute to get it a little toasted this will give it a nutty flavor. Add the half and half chicken broth and stir.
- Bring to a boil then turn the heat down to a medium-low cover with lid and let it cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and stir in the Parmesan cheese. Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper.
- Add the asparagus back and stir it in. Slice the chicken into thin slices. You can either add it to the skillet and stir it in or as seen in the photos arrange over the orzo.
- Garnish with more Parmesan cheese if preferred and parsley. Serve warm.
Read Full Recipe —> Click Here